August 2007 E-Newsletter

Wednesday, August 15th General Meeting

Don Whitehead will present "Wrecks and Rocks of Boston Harbor"

In the 1940s and 1950s, the city of Boston loaded its trash on barges and burned it in the outer harbor. Today, these sunken barges off Calf Island show the dramatically colorful effects of corrosion and encrustation. In 2006 Donald Whitehead visited these wrecks and many other sites in the harbor. He will present photos and speak about his experiences.

Don’t forget about the drawings for the GOT dive, the Dominica raffle, and the 50/50 raffle!

Great Annual fish count

Hi all,

First I want to thank everyone who participated in our largest GAFC event ever.  I especially want to thank Maryhelen Shulman-Groh and Al Bozza for going above and beyond the call to help make this event a resounding success - if the NEADC did not step up to the plate and take over the logisitics of planning a picnic for an event of this size there simply would not have been a 6th annual GAFC event!!! 

This is the first year that this event was sponsored by divers, for divers - everyone associated with this event volunteered their time and expertise towards making this event the success that it is.

Further I want to recognize and thank our volunteer dive site coordinators for stepping-up to the plate and helping out at 8 dive sites in 2 states:  Al Boyarsky, Jim Carozza,  Jim Drew, John & Val Feehan, Anna Krowczynska, Alicia Lenci, Amy Maurer, Leander Nichols and Jean Stefanik.  My apologies to Amy for double booking the Froggies yearly GAFC station, OGB with 2 coordinators - this is what happens when you hit 50 - the mind is the first thing to go!!!

A special thank you to Leda Cunningham for traveling all the way from the Florida Keys to participate in our New England GAFC event - it was great seeing you again Leda!

Now the numbers - we had a record setting 103 divers conduct 126 surveys at 7 dive sites around Cape Ann, MA and at Nubble Light, York, ME.  There were 46 species of fish observed, along with 4 species of invasive invertebrates.

We awarded a record breaking $9,500.00 in volunteer fish counters raffle prizes - the missing regulator was found the next day and will be delivered to its' owner.

Please share this e-mail with your members and any other interested parties that I may have overlooked in this e-mail list.

Yours in diving,
Bob Michelson
New England GAFC Coordinator

Upcoming Events:

NEADC Photo Contest

We are looking for YOUR photos for the next NEADC brochure!
Rules:

• Photographs must not have been previously published No professional photographers please!
  • New England photos strongly encouraged
  • Photos should be emailed to newsletter@neadc.org
  • Maximum of 3 submissions per person
  • Submission Deadline: September 20 2007

-Winners will be chosen at the NEADC Tropical Fish Hunt September 30th, 2007

Bay State Council of Divers Meeting
September 12th At the corner of Quarry St. and Joyce Rd in Quincy, MA in Quincy

NEADC Tropical Fish Hunt and family BBQ
September 30th at Ft Whetherill, RI.

Free Food and drinks! A great family event - especially for the kids. we will be seining and diving for tropicals.

At 1:00 PM, Jonathan Bird will present the Incredible Galapagos.

Come Meet Ethan Gordon, Editor of Fathoms Magazine.

Tome Bergendahl will have kayaks available to use and offer "intro to Jayaking or kayak diving"

There will be diving, volleyball, music and raffles. All are welcome. Join us for a fun filled day!
More info

There are more events in the Diving Community, take a look at the events page for a complete listing. If you have anything to add, email webmaster@neadc.org

Shore Diving

2007 Shore dives are up on the website. Remember to contact the leader a few days before the trip to sign up.

There are new member dives on August 18th, and another to the south shore on September 22. The new member dives are a great chance to get out there. The water temp is around 60 (with surface around 70) and great viz. Here are some of the upcoming dives:

Date
Site
Leader
August 18, 2007 New Member Dive
Nubble Light
Alan Budreau
August 24, 2007 Brant Rock, Marshfield Charles Benoit
August 25, 2007 Canoe Beach, Nahant Jim Carozza
August 26, 2007 Ft Wetheril,
RI
Anna Krowczynska
August 30 th, 2007 Full Moon Dive